Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Super Powers


Relationships hold incredible power.
I think it's our universal super power.
That along with the power of Choice.
One question my kids heard frequently, and sometimes still do, is 'Are you using your super powers for good or for evil?' (any other DC & Marvel fans out there? LOL)

When we take whatever measure of influence we have and work to create safe places for people to be real and whole, it can become transformational in others lives.
And realistically, our own.
We change too as others in our intimate world change.
It may take years.
Parents have been dealing with that for centuries.
You invest, invest, invest for many years, days on end, sometimes one moment at a time and it takes years to witness what kind of person  your child chooses to become.
Yes, nature holds a measure of influence, and nurture wields great sway.
But their choices of  'am I going to embrace what I've been taught as my own thought and base my life upon that decision,'  we can only wait to see the evidences as they make themselves known in time.
Their super powers revealed.

We also can take the measure of influence we have and with unhealthy habits, create chaos & havoc in peoples lives.
Which is transformational in a negative direction.
Both directions have consequences.
I truly believe there will come a day we be able to see across eternity the impact of our relationship choices and I wonder what the experience will  hold.
Will we stand amazed at how Love shared brought healing, hope and wholeness?
Stand celebrating the beauty created?
Or completely undone at the opportunities missed?
Or even crushed at how our unhealthy behaviors made a contortion in someone else's life?
Or a measure of all of that because consistency is hard to maintain?
I'm so grateful for grace and that His power is made perfect in my weakness.
Not a casual (and incorrect), oh nothing I do really matters because Jesus takes care of it anyway, kind of grace.
But a costly grace that knows my human weakness and loves, loves, loves anyway.
His vast ocean of grace.
Grace being one of His super powers.
:-)




No comments:

Post a Comment